The new site name is registered and the domain pointing here, for now. Going back to my web "roots", the site will be renamed to Eclectic Thoughts with the URL eclectic-thoughts.com (the URL without the dash was taken). I already mentioned in the last post how my first site is turning 20, and it has been An Eclectic World since then. When I freelanced, I operated under the name Eclectic Designs. And my LiveJournal is currently called Eclectic Thoughts.
I was torn between Eclectic Thoughts and Eclectic Developer, however in the end I decided on Thoughts because I intend to merge in some of my more personal posts here and basically reduce myself down to just having this one blog instead of two. If I went with Developer, I felt like I was putting a limit on posting to just Developer, as well as sticking myself in a box of just being a "Developer" rather than being the total package of "Me". The redone site will still have developing topics, but yeah, I also want to feel free to talk about whatever is on my mind – and while I suspect you guys are like "so then just do it" my brain is so legalistic it just won't let me because of what I call the site LOL
Anyway, now comes the real challenges:
- Finding a suitable WordPress theme
- Finding a suitable plugin/mechanism for the SyntaxHighlighter
- Writing the conversion scripts to move from Mango to WordPress that not only do the actual RSS set up but also scrub/update the entries for the new system
- Write more conversion scripts to move any LiveJournal entries I decide to import over
- Figure out how to get it all set up – my hosting package allows me 3 sites, which I'm using. So I'll probably have to do the initial stuff offline then do a manual import to get the site going. Messy, but I've done it before. 🙂
- When ready to go, flip the domains and what not – more than likely this will happen with #5 and the site will go to "maintainence" mode for a day or two
And doing all that while still working on the big project at work which is now 3 months behind and counting…aiming for June come hell or high water. I'm working upwards of 12-13 hour days to play catch up, leaving me very little time to do other things like blog, write scripts, etc. Usually by the time I get home, I just veg with a book or playing a video game. So this is a slow project, but it is underway!
Hopefully sometime this week, maybe over the weekend, I can also get together a post I'm wanting to do on advanced querying with Zend Selects, like dealing with nested unions, group_concat, etc.